While I’m not shy about cracking open a fine bottle of red wine at any time of year, I try to reserve my best for special occasions, and I’m talking about just any wine though.
I have a fantastic mulled wine gift that my grandmother gave me a long time ago, and to this day, my family and friends always enjoy it when I make it.
When making this recipe, you’ll want to use a good bottle of dry red wine. To spice the wine up, your mulled mixture is made from the zest of one lemon and one orange, ½ cup of brown sugar, six whole cloves, a single cinnamon stick, and two star anise.
After making your mulled mixture, whenever you’re ready to put it to use, you simply have to combine the mix with your red wine in a sauce pan and leave it to simmer for about 25 minutes — you definitely want to enjoy mulled wine when it’s warm!
Mulled Wine Spice Recipe – Good DIY Gift for Wine Lovers
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
zest of one orange
zest of one lemon
½ cup brown sugar
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 170°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the sugar, lemon zest and orange zest.
- Spread the sugar on the prepared baking sheet.
- Dry the sugar in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Use a spoon to break up any large clumps.
- Transfer into a jar.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Seal the jar.
- To make the mulled wine, combine the mix and wine in a sauce pan and simmer for 25 minutes.
(You may also like: Loose Leaf Mulled Wine Spice Mix)