Enjoying a good homemade casserole for breakfast is one of my favorite things to indulge in. Sadly, I don’t often have time to make my breakfast in the mornings these days. If life gets in the way of a healthy breakfast, then you’ll definitely want to check out this recipe for a make ahead breakfast casserole. It’s one of the better breakfast casserole recipes that I’ve had the pleasure of trying, and it’s all because of the mix of ingredients that goes into making it. You’ll be using ham, scallions, bell peppers, cheese, mustard, parsley, and a few other choice options. It has everything you need to fuel you for the day—protein, vegetables, and of course, great flavor.
View More Make-Ahead Recipes:Print
The Best Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole (Yum!)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
8 slices white sandwich bread
1 ¼ cups cooked ham, diced (about 8 ounces)
¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven for 8–10 minutes or until dry.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, heavy cream and yellow mustard.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- Arrange the bread slices in a lightly buttered baking dish in one layer, covering the bottom of the pan completely. Cut slices to fit if needed.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the bread and then top with the ham, onion, and green bell pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over ham and cheese mixture.
- Cover the casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to eat, remove the breakfast casserole from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until set.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
- Leftovers can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To reheat frozen leftovers, place them in a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Place the baking dish in a cold oven and turn the oven to 425°F.
- Bake for 50-55 minute or until hot in center.