It seems like there’s not a morning that goes by where I’m not feeling totally pressed for time. Most days I barely have time to get ready for work, let alone prepare myself a healthy breakfast. That’s exactly why I usually plan ahead and make most of my meals in advance. It’s easy when you have great recipes to work with like this one for make ahead breakfast burritos. They’re absolutely loaded with breakfast goodies—hash browns, bell peppers, breakfast sausage, and there are even two different types of cheese. Even better, these burritos are still good even as leftovers, so you can actually freeze them and just reheat as needed.
View More Make-Ahead Recipes:
Quick and Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 pound breakfast sausage, casing removed
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a bowl beat the eggs and milk. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook until brown and crispy. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and remove from the skillet.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring until the sausage crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Add the onion and peppers and cook until tender.
- Drain excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add the egg mixture and cook, until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains.
- Add the potatoes and cilantro and mix to combine.
- Divide the egg mixture between 8 tortillas, placing filling down center.
- Top with cheeses.
- Fold ends and sides over filling.
- Wrap in parchment paper, label and place in a freezer bag.
- Freeze for up to 1 month.
- When ready to eat, remove the frozen burrito from the freezer and unwrap from parchment paper.
- Wrap the frozen burrito in a wet paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes.(see note *)
- Cool for 1 minute, then unwrap and serve.
Cooking time may vary due to individual microwave wattage.