Make-Ahead Lentil Soup Mix Recipe for a Hearty and Healthy Meal
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups dried green or brown lentils
- 2 tbsp dried chopped onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 dried bay leaves
- 1 vegetable or chicken bouillon cube
- Layer the ingredients in the following order in a jar:
– dried lentils
– dried chopped onions
– garlic powder
– paprika powder
– dried parsley
– bay leaf
– bouillon cube
- Print the recipe tag on card stock and cut out.
- Attach the tag to the jar.
- Decorate the jar as you wish.
To make the soup:
- Unwrap the bouillon cube.
- Add the bouillon cube, remaining content of the jar, 2 diced carrots, 2 diced celery stalk, 1 (14 oz) can diced tomato and 6 cups of water into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer, until the lentils are tender, about 35-45 minutes, adding more water as necessary.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, do 2 or 3 quick whizzes to thicken the soup.
- Add 1 tsp lemon zest and lemon juice to taste.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with toasted bread.