The Ketogenic diet is a rising diet trend that promises better health for you and your family. Thanks to misinformation spread through society by big agriculture, most people think of consuming fats as dangerous for your health. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Health monounsaturated and saturated fats are ideal for a slow-burning energy source that provides you and your family with excellent nutrition.
Going keto doesn’t mean you can’t create delicious dishes for your family. A ketogenic menu can include tasty dishes like our keto breakfast casserole. Forget about toast and coffee for breakfast. Fix your family this delicious dish and watch them ask for seconds!
Carb-Free Casserole Delight for the Family
This recipe is a carb-free take on our “Grandma-approved” breakfast casserole. If you’re running a ketogenic diet, you can’t eat carbs, or you’ll end the ketogenic state. As your body returns to gluconeogenesis, you’ll feel lethargic – not the ideal way to start your day. So ditch the carbs with this recipe and focus on protein and healthy fats instead. (1)
The sausage is the crux of this recipe. We prefer Italian sausage from our local butcher, its free from antibiotics and hormones used in commercial hog-farming. This organic meat makes a massive difference in the final taste and nutritional value of the meat. (2)
While you’re out, grab some free-range eggs as well. Hens reared on a grain-finished diet instead of corn produce brighter, healthier yolks. These eggs have a completely different mouth-feel and texture to store-bought eggs from commercial hen farms, try them out and see for yourself.
Wrap up your shopping with some raw mozzarella cheese and heavy cream. Unpasteurized dairy is teeming with probiotic enzymes that are excellent for your family’s gut-flora. Don’t forget to pick up some fresh peppers, an onion, and some garlic. Garlic is a critical part of this recipe, it releases the flavor in the meat and enhances the aroma of the meal, plus – it’s a great source of polyphenols that have an anti-microbial effect in the GI tract.
Get started with your recipe by prepping the vegetables. Dice up the peppers and onion, and crush a few cloves of garlic. Preheat the oven to 375F, and whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and half-and-half.
Take the sausage out of the casing and fry over medium heat with grass-fed butter and garlic. When the meats browned, add all the ingredients to the baking dish, sprinkle in the mozzarella, some sun-dried tomatoes, and the parsley. Cook for 45 to 50-minutes.
Serve it warm to your family, or store it in the fridge overnight for a ready-made breakfast in the morning, just heat-and-eat.
View More Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Kids:
Healthy Breakfast Casserole for a Balanced Family Breakfast
5-Minute Nutrient-Dense Breakfast Smoothie for Busy Families
How to Make the Most Perfectly Cooked Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Healthy Homemade Pancakes to Fuel Your Kids Body (And Mind)
How to Make Kid-Friendly French Toast That’s Not Packed with Sugar
The Best Family-Friendly Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the sausage in a nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a large bowl place the eggs, heavy cream, half and half and mix to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the shredded mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, parsley, cooked sausage and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 -50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 8