- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 28-oz can whole, peeled tomatoes (I suggest the San Marzano brand)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil on High heat. When hot, add onions and sautee for one minute. Add garlic cloves, and sautee for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add tomatoes, breaking up the whole peeled tomatoes with the edge of a wooden spoon. Add remainder of ingredients and stir. Turn heat to medium-low and cook for one hour.
- Remove cinnamon stick from the pan and take the pot off the stove to cool slightly. Blend with an immersion blender or in a regular blender, making sure to take caution if the mixture is still hot.
- Return to the stove and cook for another hour, until reduced and desired consistency is achieved.