If you’re trying to be a little bit frugal with gifts without skimping on thoughtfulness, then you can’t go wrong with this homemade italian barley soup mix. I’ve been making a ton of different make-ahead soup mix recipes like this lately and today I wanted to share one of the better recipes with you all.
This italian barley soup is made with a mix of real, whole food ingredients, including one cup of pearled barley, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley flakes, and a single vegetable bouillon cube.
It’s easy, satisfying and a good recipe wether you’re making the soup mix for yourself or to give as a gift.
More Make-Ahead Soup Mix Recipes
Make-Ahead Italian Barley Soup Mix (Easy Recipe!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup pearled barley
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried chopped onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Layer the ingredients in the following order in a jar:
– pearled barley
– garlic powder
– dried onions
– sun dried tomatoes
– bouillon cube
- Print the recipe tag on card stock and cut out.
- Attach the tag to the jar.
- Decorate the jar as you wish.
To make the soup:
- Unwrap the bouillon cube.
- Add the bouillon cube, remaining content of the jar, 2 diced carrots, 2 diced celery stalk, 1 (14 oz) can diced tomato and 6 cups of water into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer, until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes, adding more water as necessary.
- Season to taste.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan.