There’s nothing I love more than when being able to use my instant pot to make authentic tasting cuisine from a variety of different countries. A perfect example of that is this recipe for making authentic instant pot zuppa toscana soup. It literally takes no time at all to prepare in your instant pot with all of the staples that you would expect from a good bowl of Tuscan soup like potatoes, spinach, onion, garlic, olive, and more. This particular recipe even adds in a few slices of bacon for good measure, and the results are spectacular. If you’ve never tried zuppa toscana soup before, then you need to place this recipe at the very top of your “to try” list.
(You may also like: Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Bone Broth Soup)
Classic and Authentic Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, to break up the meat.
- Spoon out excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot.
- Add the bacon and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.
- Add the potatoes and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook the spinach until just wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.