Easy Instant Pot Lemon Pepper Whole Chicken
- Author: Anna - MissWish.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
1 (3 pounds) whole chicken, giblets and neck removed, washed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup water
- In a small bowl combine the butter, lemon zest, black pepper and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels inside and out.
- Using a thin silicone spatula or your hands, gently separate the skin from the breast.
- Stuff the butter – lemon mixture into the opened spaces under the skin.
- Use your fingers on top of the skin to push down and spread it evenly so that the meat is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle the outside and inside of the chicken with salt and tie the legs.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Place the chicken breast-side down in the Instant Pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully turn the chicken over so the breast is facing up and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Add the water.
- Carefully place the chicken on the trivet.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 18 minutes (see Note*).
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- To crisp up the skin, carefully place the chicken on a baking sheet.
- Broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken skin is brown and crispy.
If your chicken is smaller or larger, calculate the cooking time by multiplying the number of pounds by 6 minutes.