Tortilla soup is every bit as good as it sounds, especially when it’s made in an instant pot. I’m a huge fan of one-pot recipes like casseroles and instant pot recipes because they make my job so much easier. Less prep time, less cooking time, and less clean-up time. This instant pot vegetable tortilla soup ticks all those boxes, but it doesn’t taste like it only took me a few minutes to make thanks to the blend of herbs and spices.
(You may also like: The Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Ever (Yum!))
Healthy Instant Pot Vegetable Tortilla Soup (Yum!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup tortilla chips or more to taste
- salt, black pepper to taste
For serving (optional):
- avocado, lime wedges, chopped cilantro
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the ground cumin, chili powder, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and toss to combine.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 2 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm topped with tortilla chips and your favorite toppings (avocado, chopped cilantro…).