This instant pot tomato basil soup is a quick and easy recipe that can be made in just under 10 minutes. If you’re a fan of tomato soup and enjoy strong herby flavors, then you have to give this soup recipe a try. The subtle sweetness of sautéed red bell pepper balances out the acidic taste of diced tomatoes. You can choose between using vegetable or chicken broth as the base of this soup so vegetarians and plant-based dieters have the option to adapt it to their dietary guidelines as well.
(You may also like: Instant Pot Turmeric Tomato Detox Soup)
The Best Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup (Freezes so well!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes with basil
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil plus extra for garnish.
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the tomato paste, dried oregano, sugar, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 2 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the heavy cream and chopped basil.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve soup with a swirl of heavy cream and fresh basil leaves.