When it comes to vegan recipes, I’ve always been pleasantly surprised at how great they turn out. I’m not vegan, but I always have guests over so I like being prepared. This vegant instant pot split pea soup was a home run at my last dinner party. It was so good, even my friends who aren’t vegan loved it. I love how it has a good amount of vegetables in it, so you’re getting your vitamins, minerals and fiber in as well.
Vonderfully Vegan Instant Pot Split Pea Soup (YUM!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup diced tomatoes, canned
- 6 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 lb yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the yellow split peas, dried thyme, smoked paprika, ground cumin, diced tomatoes, bay leaves and vegetable broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.