Split pea soup and ham—I came across this combo by accident as I was emptying out my fridge. I didn’t want to waste anything, so I experimented with this instant pot split pea soup. It has fresh vegetables, herbs, your choice of vegetable or chicken broth and uncured ham. I only use uncured ham because cured ham usually has preservatives, excess sodium and fillers, so you definitely want to steer clear of that. With this soup, you still get the smokey flavor from the pork and of course all the nutrients from the vegetables.
(You may also like: Mind-Blowing Instant Pot Taco Soup (Love This Recipe!))Print
The Best Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Uncured Ham
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2–3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound split peas, picked through for pebbles
- 1 (8 oz) piece uncured ham
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 minute.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Rinse the split peas in a colander.
- Add the split peas, ham, bay leaf, fresh thyme sprigs and vegetable broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 12 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid and discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Remove the ham from the pot and cut it into small pieces.
- Stir the ham back into soup.
- Reserve a few pieces of meat to garnish the soup if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.