This recipe for instant pot chicken tacos is one of my favorites especially for taco night. Whenever I make these tacos, I always have to cook another half serving because my kids are always asking for seconds—that’s how good they are. One reason why I love this recipe is that it only has 7 ingredients and they’re probably already sitting in your kitchen, and it takes less than half an hour to prepare. Such a fantastic recipe for a quick but quality lunch or dinner.
7-Ingredient Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
1 ½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
½ cup chipotles in adobo sauce
1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
salt, black pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Grease the Instant pot insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine the crushed tomatoes, chipotles in adobo sauce, dried oregano, cumin, onion powder, sugar and 1/3 cup of water.
- Place the chicken in the Instant pot.
- Pour the sauce over and toss to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 35 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken from the pot.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in a large baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Broil in the oven until golden brown.
- Toss the chicken with sauce or serve the sauce on the side.
- Serve with tacos and your favorite toppings.