As much as I love a good home cooked roast beef dinner, I think I prefer roast beef even more when it’s warmed up as leftovers or used to make sandwiches. With that in mind, today I’ll be sharing a recipe for making a tender 7-ingredient instant pot roast beef that’s absolutely perfect for making epic sandwiches. It all starts with slow cooking your roast along with a delectable homemade sauce that includes great ingredients like beef stock, garlic powder, dark beer, and more. Once your beef has been cooked, it’s a simple matter of shredding it up and making your sandwiches with your preferred toppings.
Tender 7-Ingredient Instant Pot Roast Beef
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the roast:
- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 4–5 inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dark beer
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt, black pepper to taste
For making the sandwiches (optional):
- 6 soft hoagie rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 tbsp melted garlic butter
- 1/3 cup horseradish mayonnaise
- 5 oz provolone cheese, sliced
- Season the roast with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the oil.
- Add the roast chunks and brown 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the Instant Pot.
- Add the dark beer and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the roast, onion, garlic powder, bay leaf and soy sauce to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and dried thyme if using.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 45 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Remove the roast from the Instant pot.
- Shred the roast with 2 forks.
- Strain the cooking liquid.
- To make the sandwiches, preheat the broiler of your oven.
- Brush the roll halves with garlic butter and broil until golden.
- Remove the roll top halves from the baking sheet.
- Leave the bottom halves on the baking sheet.
- Top with shredded beef and cheese slices.
- Return to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven.
- Spread the horseradish mayonnaise on the roll top halves.
- Close the sandwich and serve with cooking liquid to dunk the sandwich in.