I never used to be a huge fan of eating beans which is surprising because they’re such a great source of protein, dietary fiber, B-complex vitamins, and other essential nutrients. It’s only really been the last few years that I started to experiment with eating more beans, and I have to say, I’m definitely a fan now. Slow-cooking the refried beans really makes a difference in the texture especially wit hthe immersion blender to make it into a puree. If you’ve never tried making beans this way, I bet I could make you into a believer.
How to Make The Best No Soak Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, sorted of debris and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- queso fresco, crumbled
- diced tomato
- sliced red chili (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the pinto beans, bay leaves, ground cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Add the broth and pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 45 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Drain the beans.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, puree the beans until they reach your desired consistency, adding some of the reserved liquid as needed.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper, if necessary.
- Sprinkle with queso fresco, diced tomatoes, sliced chili and chopped cilantro and serve.