Pulled pork sandwiches are such a hit at our family barbecues. I think it’s because they’re so easy to eat, and they’re easy to make in bulk. This recipe for family-friendly instant pot pulled pork is always a hit whenever I make it so hopefully it’ll be just as successful with yours. A lot of the time, pulled pork recipes require store-bought sauces or just heaps of refined sugar and syrup. For this recipe, you’ll be using a bit of brown sugar, apple juice, garlic, onion, and more to flavor your pork. Not only does it deliver on taste, it’s also healthier than other recipes.
The Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork (Only 7 Ingredients!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
3 pound pork shoulder, cut into 4 large pieces
1 ½ cup apple juice
1 ½ cup barbecue sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt, black pepper to taste
- Season the pork with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a bowl place the apple juice, 1 cup of barbecue sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Grease the Instant pot insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the pork and apple juice mixture in the Instant pot and toss to coat.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 60 minutes (see Note*).
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid and remove the pork from the pot.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks.
- Add remaining barbecue sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve the pulled pork on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.
If your pork shoulder is smaller or larger, calculate the cooking time by multiplying the number of pounds by 20 minutes.