I honestly couldn’t wait to share today’s instant soup recipe with you guys. It’s one of my favorites because I love making all sorts of dishes with potatoes. I came across this potato and leek combo while watching a cooking show, but I wasn’t able to take down the recipe so I just experimented with what I had in my kitchen and it turned out quite well. The broth is creamy thanks to the heavy cream and butter, but the fresh herbs keep the soup light and flavorful.
(You may also like: Easy Instant Pot Potato Dill Soup (5-Ingredient Recipe))
The Best Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup Ever (Holy yum!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 leeks, thoroughly washed and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt, black pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- half and half for garnish (optional)
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the butter.
- Add the leeks and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the potatoes, bay leaf, dried thyme and chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm garnished with fresh thyme leaves and a swirl of half and half if using.