How to Make the Best Pot Roast with Potatoes in an Instant Pot
You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make what is literally the best pot roast with potatoes in an instant pot. Not until you try out this recipe for yourself, at least. It’s super easy to follow and will show you how to make an incredible for dinner that your whole family will go crazy for. The pot roast provides a good amount of protein and fat as well as your essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the hearty mix of vegetables. There’s even a bit of red wine added in for good measure. That alone is reason enough to try this, don’t you think?
The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast with Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
2 tbsp olive oil
3 pounds beef chuck roast
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup red wine
1 ½ cups beef stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp dried rosemary or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ tsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 pound baby red potatoes
4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp cornstarch
fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the roast with salt and black pepper.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the roast and brown 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the Instant Pot.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.
- Add the tomato paste, red wine and stir to combine.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Stir in the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, potatoes and carrots.
- Season with salt and black peeper to taste.
- Top with beef.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 60 minutes (see Note*).
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Remove the beef and vegetables from the Instant pot.
- Discard the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprigs (if using).
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is thickened into a gravy.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Pour the gravy over the meat and vegetables, garnish with parsley and serve.
If your roast is smaller or larger, calculate the cooking time by multiplying the number of pounds by 20 minutes.
Ask a Question Rate this Recipe