Looking for a new spicy recipe to try out with your instant pot? Then I’ve got just the thing you need with this easy 8-ingredient instant pot pinto beans recipe. Absolutely anybody can make this recipe, even if you’re not even close to being the best cook in the world. There’s some heat to it with the chili powder, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce all add a solid amount of fiery spiciness to the pinto beans. On top of that, you’ll also be adding a bit of garlic and onion into the mix for their potent flavoring and numerous health benefits. Put it all together and what you end up with is one immensely satisfying instant pot meal.
The Best Instant Pot Pinto Beans (No Pre-Soaking Required!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
1 medium onion, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pound dried pinto beans, sorted of debris and rinsed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 can(14 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
5 cups chicken broth or stock
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the pinto beans, chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, chicken broth and pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 45 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper, if necessary.