One of the best beef dinners that I have ever had in my entire life was at a local Mongolian restaurant a few years ago. For the longest time, I tried my hand at making my own Mongolian beef but I could never seem to get it right. Then one day I happened to stumble upon this 15-minute instant pot Mongolian beef and it quickly became one of my go-to recipes for beef. It doesn’t get much easier than this to make an authentic Mongolian beef dish, especially since most, if not all, of the the ingredients are probably already sitting in your kitchen.
15-Minute Instant Pot Mongolian Beef (Easy Pressure Cooker Recipe)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Place the beef slices in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper and toss to coat.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the oil and brown the beef in batches.
- Add the brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, 1 cup of water, rice wine and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 6 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and ¼ cup of water.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions and serve with rice.