The common cold is no match for this instant pot matzo ball soup. Packed with essential nutrients and micronutrients, this amazing soup recipe will not only satisfy your cravings but it will also help give your immune system a much-needed boost. Matzo balls together with tender chicken breast and a healthy serving of vegetables will fuel your body with lasting energy. Bay leaves and fresh dill add a warm, mild flavor to the chicken broth as well as a subtle herby aroma. Give this recipe a try the next time you’re feeling under the weather.
(You may also like: Instant Pot Turkey Soup to Fuel Your Soul)
Healing Instant Pot Matzo Ball Soup to Get Rid of a Cold
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the matzo balls:
- ½ cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- kosher salt to taste
- To make the matzo balls, in a medium bowl add all the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the oil.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the chicken, bay leaf and broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken from the pot.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Roll the matzo mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Drop the matzo balls into the soup and cook, stirring gently, until tender, 25–30 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped dill.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.