When I was growing up, meals that consisted of meat and potatoes were a typical dinner for us. One of my favorite ways to eat potatoes is when they’re mashed, and to this day, I still make it a point to enjoy mashed potatoes at least once every week or two. I stumbled upon this recipe recently and it was such a nice change to my usual way of preparing mashed potatoes.
The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potato Recipe Ever
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
2 ¼ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and halved
1 ½ cup water
4 tbsp butter
2/3 cup half and half or whole milk, warmed
salt, black pepper to taste
chopped chives to taste (optional)
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Add the water.
- Place the potatoes on top of the trivet.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press the STEAM button.
- Adjust the timer to 12 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Remove the trivet and drain the potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes.
- Mix in the half and half and butter.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives (if using) and serve.