Aren’t lentils great? They’re such a cheap and convenient source of protein to buy in bulk, and they go so well in so many different recipes. Today I’ll be sharing one of my favorite recipes that will show you how to make perfectly firm lentils in an instant pot. You’ll of course be needing your choice of brown or green lentils. Along with the lentils, you’ll add in some garlic, onion, and either water or vegetable broth. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste and that’s really all you need to make a fantastic lentil meal that provides you with a solid amount of protein, iron, folate, and disease-fighting polyphenols.
(You may also like: The Best Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Soup Ever)
How to Cook Perfectly Firm Lentils in an Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the lentils, pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper and water or broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper, if necessary.