Without a doubt, the best thing about making your own homemade soups from scratch is having the peace of mind that you know exactly what goes into them. There are no hidden sugars, fillers, or additives when following your own recipe and to stay true to this healing instant pot red lentil soup with lemon, we’ll be using nutritious ingredients like onion, garlic, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper. Combined, these ingredients add layers of flavor to the red lentils, making this instant pot soup a healthy but tasty option for those who are interested in a boost of iron, folate and polyphenols, which have been shown to have many health benefits. Lentils are also high in protein, which is why they’re a popular meat alternative among plant-based dieters, vegetarians and vegans alike.
(You may also like: How to Cook Perfectly Firm Lentils in an Instant Pot)
Healing Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ lemon, juiced or more to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley plus extra for garnish
- salt, black peeper to taste
- Rinse the lentils in a colander and set aside.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the red lentils, tomato paste and cayenne pepper.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the lemon juice and chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.