A lot of my friends are hesitant to try out a vegan style diet because they’re concerned about getting an adequate amount of protein. After all, it can indeed be scary giving up staples like beef, pork, and chicken. There’s no need to worry though as there are all kinds of fantastic vegan-friendly protein sources like lentils. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite vegan recipes makes what is hands down the best vegan instant pot lentil soup that you’ll ever try.
The Best Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Soup Ever (My Favorite Recipe)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
3 medium carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups green or brown lentils, sorted of debris and rinsed
½ tsp dried thyme
¾ tsp smoked paprika
1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth or stock
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the lentils, dried thyme, smoked paprika, fire roasted diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 11 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve warm.