Every now and then I get an intense craving for a good bowl of hot and sour soup. This particular recipe for instant pot hot and sour soup recipe is my go to because you all know I love my instant pot. The soup is made with nothing but all natural whole food ingredients that will leave you feeling satiated and well nourished. The shiitake mushrooms give the soup a nice smoky flavor, while the bamboo shoots give it a sour twist. To help offset the tanginess of the bamboo shoots, the recipe also adds in flavorful ingredients such as garlic, ginger, white vinegar, and even a bit of sugar. It all comes together perfectly to make a bowl of hot and sour soup that you’ll keep coming back to.
(You may also like: The Best Homemade Instant Pot Wonton Soup)
Out of This World Instant Pot Hot And Sour Soup
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- ½ pound firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ oz dried shiitake
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp white pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
- Place the dried shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with hot water.
- Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain liquid and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot.
- Add the broth and bring it to a boil.
- Add the white vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, garlic and white pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch.
- Stir the mixture into the broth.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly drizzle egg into broth mixture.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Serve garnished with scallion.