If there was ever a country that knows how to make a mindblowing vegetable dish, it would be India. Dal is hands down one of my favorite vegan-friendly dishes of all time. With that in mind, I’m absolutely thrilled to share this easy instant dal recipe. Made with chana dal, the recipe also calls for a fantastic mixture of herbs, spices, and seeds that all work in tandem to make one incredibly soul-satisfying dish. I don’t have much experience with Indian food, but you wouldn’t be able to tell with this dish—it turns out great every time.
Easy Instant Pot Dal – Soul-Satisfying Vegetarian Dish
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
¾ cup chana dal, rinsed
2 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth or stock
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp garam masala
1 tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 dried red chilies, cut into pieces
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
salt to taste
- Add the chana dal, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper, garam masala and water to the Instant pot.
- Mix to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 11 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- In a small pan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chili, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried chilies and minced garlic.
- Cook until garlic turns golden.
- Add the garlic mixture to the pot and stir.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with rice.