There’s honestly nothing I love more than a good batch of Buffalo chicken wings. I’m completely obsessed with them. Lately I’ve been making them by following this spicy instant pot Buffalo chicken wing recipe. It’s super easy to follow and they’re highly addictive as well. The melted butter along with the Frank’s Red Hot cayenne pepper sauce is perfect for coating your chicken wings and in just 10 minutes or so of broiling, you’ll be well on your way to a spectacular meal.
Chicken Wings Every Day of the Week? Challenge Accepted!
Want something else to alternate with these spicy hot buffalo chicken wings? Not to worry, there are plenty of other great ways to prepare a juicy batch of chicken wings with your instant pot. While I’m personally partial to the hot wings (the spicier, the better if you ask me!), I also like to switch things up from time to time by branching out with different flavors. Definitely check out these five other great instant pot wing recipes from some of my go-to food blogs:
- Best Instant Pot Chicken Wings From Fresh or Frozen (Sweet and Savory Meals)
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings (Taste and See)
- Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Wings (Pressure Cooking Today)
- Korean Gochujang Sticky Chicken Wings (Instant Pot) (The Kitchen Whisperer)
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Wings (Pressure Cook Recipes)
These Wings Are One Food Addiction That You Won’t Want To Give Up
One of the main reasons why I initially purchased my instant pot was because of how quick and easy it makes it to whip up a ton of different meals. As a matter of fact, using an instant pot makes things so quick and easy that you can have these buffalo chicken wings ready to go in only 20 minutes, from start to finish.
The very first thing that you’ll want to do is place your four pounds of chicken wings into a bowl before sprinkling them with one tablespoon each of salt and garlic powder. This helps to give the wings a rather potent and distinctive taste from the get go.
Load up your instant pot and then seal it. Hit the ‘PRESSURE COOK’ button (don’t forget to double check that the pressure level reads ‘High’ on the display) and adjust the timer for five minutes.
After the five minutes has elapsed, allow the pressure to come down naturally. Take out the wings and set them aside. Next, wash and dry your insert before returning it to the instant pot. Press the ‘SAUTE’ button and leave the instant pot to stand until the display reads “HOT”.
You can now add in ½ cup of melted butter with ¾ cup of Frank’s Red Hot original cayenne pepper sauce. Stir them until the butter and sauce are melted together, and then go ahead and press ‘CANCEL’.
Add in the chicken wings once again, tossing them to coat. Next, take the wings back out and arrange them on a baking sheet that you’ve lined with parchment paper. Broil the wings for 10 minutes, stopping halfway through to flip them over.
I Want to Try a Milder Spice Variant. What Can I Do?
While some people may read that question and think, “Of course the wings are spicy – they’re supposed to be!”, it does indeed happen on occasion that your chicken wings turn out a little bit spicier than anticipated.
The first quick fix is to simply use less Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Drop down to ½ (or even ¼ cup if you really find them too spicy) and see how they turn out.
Alternatively, if using the cayenne pepper sauce is just too hot for you, then you can definitely feel free to swap it out for whatever type of hot sauce you can handle, whether that’s mild or medium.
How Can I Make My Chicken Wings Crispier?
Instant pots aren’t always the first choice for those of you who like their chicken wings to be a bit on the crispier side of things, but that doesn’t mean it’s hopeless.
In fact, that’s exactly why this recipe has you tossing your wings into the broiler for 10 minutes at the end. If you find that the 10 minutes of cooking time still isn’t enough to get the wings as crispy as you would like, then go ahead and cook them for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Don’t go any longer than though or you’ll run the risk of overcooking them!Print
Spicy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings – Easy and Addictively Good
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
4 pounds chicken wings, trimmed and separated
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water
¾ cup Frank’s RedHot original cayenne pepper sauce
½ cup melted butter
- Place the wings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and toss to combine.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant pot.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the trivet.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove the wings and trivet from the Instant pot. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the pot insert.
- Return the pot insert into the Instant Pot.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the hot sauce and butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the chicken wings and toss to coat.
- Arrange the chicken wings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Broil the chicken wings for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sauce and veggies.