A meal consisting of chicken and vegetables is just about as healthy as it gets. It provides you with tons of protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients to keep your body fueled up and ready to go. This recipe for homemade instant pot chicken and vegetable soup is no exception to that, and it only takes a few minutes to make. I love how the natural flavors of the celery, onion leeks and garlic really shine through and become so tender in the instant pot, they fall apart and disintegrate into the broth. Practically anyone can whip this recipe up without having to prepare in advance so it really is a no-brainer recipe.
(You may also like: The Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Ever (Yum!))Print
Homemade Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, washed and shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 medium celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 3-4 pounds whole chicken
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped celery leaves (optional)
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels inside and out. Set aside.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the leek and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the carrots, celery and potatoes and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken, bay leaf, thyme sprigs and 6 cups of water.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 20 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Remove the chicken from the pot.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard it.
- Remove the meat from the bones.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Add the meat back into the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and celery if using.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.