For me, there’s nothing quite like a healthy meal of chicken and rice. It’s an all around balanced meal that I can make on autopilot, having prepared it numerous times before when I was living alone. I’ve had plenty of practice cooking chicken, and what I’ve found was if you’re not careful, it can turn out dry or bland. To avoid that, you’re going to be using some juicy chicken thighs for this recipe flavored with some Italian seasoning and other spices. This is an instant pot chicken and rice recipe that won’t disappoint, especially when you add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top right before serving.
Soul-Satyisfying Instant Pot Chicken And Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
6 chicken thighs with bone-in and skin on
1 ½ cups long grain basmati rice
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt, black pepper to taste
grated Parmesan to serve (optional)
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15-30 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with ½ tsp chili powder, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the oil.
- Add the chicken thighs and brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot.
- Add the butter.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, Italian seasoning, paprika, 1 teaspoon of chili powder and stock.
- Stir to combine.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Return the chicken thighs into the pot.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 6 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with grated Parmesan (if using).