If there was one meal that I could easily live off of for the rest of my life, it would be rice and chicken. It provides a quality source of carbs, a quality source of lean protein and healthy fat. Better yet, you can tweak this classic combo a little bit to add some more variety, like with this recipe for making a 10-minute instant pot chicken and rice soup. It’s of course made with rice and roasted chicken, but it also features a hearty mix of healthy veggies, chicken broth, and savory herbs. It all comes together beautifully to make a bowl of soup that’s guaranteed to satisfy both your cravings and your hunger.
(You may also like: Homemade Instant Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup)
10-Minute Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chopped roasted chicken
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain rice
- pinch of turmeric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
- salt, black pepper, to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the butter.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the chicken, rice, dried thyme, red pepper, pinch of turmeric and broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 2 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.