One of the best things about owning an instant pot is how easy and hassle-free it is. Dinner can be ready in a few hours with minimal supervision, or just a few minutes. A great example of that is this recipe for making authentic instant pot pork carnitas. And while there’s not really anything ‘instant’ about this recipe, it does deliver one of the best pork carnita meals that I’ve ever tried. It’s all because of the great mix of healthy whole food ingredients that go into making it. You’ll be using a boneless pork roast paired with some tasty options like garlic, oregano, cumin, lime juice, orange juice, and even beer. This is such an underrated dish that will delight even the picky eaters.
Authentic Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Family Favorite)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
4 pounds boneless pork roast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup beer
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ fresh lime juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cumin
salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the pork roast with salt and black pepper.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the oil.
- Add the pork roast and brown 2-3 minutes per side.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- In a small bowl combine the orange juice, lime juice, dried oregano, dried cumin garlic, beer, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the pork.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 80 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Remove the pork from the Instant pot.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks.
- Place the pork, in a single layer, on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon 2/3 of cooking juice evenly on top of the pork.
- Broil in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven.
- Drizzle with remaining cooking juice and toss to combine.
- Serve with your favorite salsa and toppings.