Growing up, baking was something I loved to do with my grandma every time I would go over to her house. She taught me all her favorite recipes and I had tons of fun making them with her. Unfortunately, baking on my own is a different story. The results never turn out as good as hers and the kitchen is always a mess. So, when I attempted to make a birthday cake using my instant pot, I really wasn’t expecting much but boy was I wrong. It blows my mind that I was able to make a birthday cake, icing and all, with the help of my trusty instant pot.
(You may also like: The Best Instant Pot Strawberry Cheesecake Ever (New York-Style))
How to Make The Best Birthday Cake in an Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
For the cake:
- 6 oz cake flour
- 3 tbsp rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature plus extra for greasing
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
For the buttercream:
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 16 tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups assorted candies such as M&Ms and Smarties plus extra for decoration
- Grease a 7 inch springform pan with extra butter and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the cake, in a bowl place the flour, sprinkles, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and confectioners sugar until smooth and creamy, 5-6 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In three batches, add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Place the trivet in the Instant pot.
- Add 1 ½ cup of water.
- Place the prepared pan on the trivet.
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 50 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove the cake from the Instant Pot.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Peel of the parchment, place the cake onto a rack and let cool completely.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and confectioners sugar until smooth and creamy, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the vanilla seeds and heavy cream and beat until well combined.
- To assemble the cake, using a long, serrated knife, slice the cake into thirds horizontally to make 3 layers.
- Carefully cut out a large circle (about 3 ½-4 inch) from the centre of the each cake layer using a pastry cutter.
- Reserve one cake disk.
- Place the bottom cake ring on a serving plate.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream on the bottom cake ring.
- Place a second cake ring on top and spread with more buttercream.
- Top with the remaining cake ring.
Fill the cavity with candies all the way up to the top.
- Put the reserved cake disc on top of the candies to seal them in.
- Ice the top and the sides of the cake with remaining buttercream.
- Decorate with additional candies.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.