Are you guys ready to try what just might be the greatest vegan soup recipe of all time? I know that sounds like a lot of hype but if ever there was a soup recipe deserving of that accolade, it would be this one for making a vegan instant pot butternut squash soup with turmeric and ginger. The mix of ginger, turmeric, and other herbs and spices matches up perfectly with the butternut squash to make one immensely satisfying bowl of soup. The recipe also adds in coconut oil and coconut milk to add a solid amount of saturated fats, helping to further increase the satiety of the soup. You definitely won’t be feeling hungry after a bowl of this soup. Save it for lunch or a light dinner.
Vegan Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup with Turmeric and Ginger
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk plus extra for garnish
- salt, black pepper to taste
- pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the coconut oil.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the butternut squash, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric and vegetable stock.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” on the display.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the soup between bowls.
- Garnish with extra coconut milk and pumpkin seeds and serve.