If you need a boost of energy to help you get through a busy day, try making this dish. The ingredients are affordable and can be found at any grocery store. Tender beef cubes together with the chewy texture and nutty flavor of barley make this soup irresistible to anyone who tries it. Dried oregano, tomato paste, and fresh parsley add a bright, fresh flavor that contrasts the savory ingredients and beef broth base. Chopped carrot and celery provide you with much needed micronutrients to keep your body healthy and your mind sharp—a win-win!
(You may also like: Hearty Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup)
Energy-Packed Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup barley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Season the beef cubes with ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Toss the beef cubes in the flour.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the olive oil.
- Shake off the excess flour and brown the beef in batches.
- Remove the beef from the pot.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the tomato paste, barley and dried oregano.
- Add the water.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.
- Return the beef in the pot.
- Add the broth and stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 12 minutes.
- When finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.