For the longest time, I couldn’t get my kids to eat asparagus, no matter how hard I tried and to think asparagus is so good for you. It’s packed full of essential nutrients and antioxidants. Finally, I came across this recipe for instant pot cream of asparagus soup and they ended up loving it more than my other vegetable soups. My picky eaters didn’t even realize they were eating asparagus until I told them—that’s how good it was! Needless to say, this recipe is a keeper.
(You may also like: Easy Homemade Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Soup)
Easy Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 pounds green asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 leek, thoroughly washed and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh dill (optional)
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the butter.
- Add the onion and asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the broth and stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 2 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the heavy cream and lemon juice.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the fresh dill if using.
- Serve soup with a swirl of heavy cream.