There’s nothing more satisfying on a brisk and chilly day than a warm bowl of butternut squash soup. And since the weather is almost always a little gloomy where I’m from, I like making this instant pot butternut squash soup as a starter for most of my family’s meals. It’s a great way to sneak in some vegetables, too. Did you know that a cup of butternut squash has more potassium than a cup of banana? Definitely give it a try for some added nutrients.The sweet and nutty flavors of the butternut squash taste almost like a dessert especially when seasoned with nutmeg, but the chicken broth and vegetables bring it all together with a savory twist. Serve your soup with some toasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of crunch at the end.
(You may also like: 62 Best Instant Pot Dinner Recipes for a Quick, Easy Meal)
Soul-Satisfying Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups chopped, peeled butternut squash
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup half-and-half plus extra for decoration
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted for decoration
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the butter.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Add the butternut squash, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and check to make sure the pressure level shows as “High” in the display.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the lid.
- Stir in the half and half.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve soup with a swirl of half-and-half and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds if you like.