This christmas cookie ornaments uses sugar cookie dough and melted hard candy to make a ‘stained glass’ diy ornament that is just as tasty as it is impressive.
A gentle dusting of sugar crystals on the outside of a soft, buttery cookie is enough to make your mouth water, but there’s just something extra special about these Christmas-themed ones with crushed candy that makes it worth the extra effort. You won’t regret it!
Christmas Cookie Ornaments
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 15–20 unwrapped hard candies
- To crush the hard candies, place each color in plastic bags, and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, pinch of salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pat the dough into 1-inch thick circle and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for minimum 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to ¼-inch thickness.
- Use large cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes, then use small cookie cutters to cut out the center shape.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment papers.
- Fill the cut-out centers about ¾ full with crushed candies.
- If you want to hang your cookies, poke the hole using a straw or wooden skewer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Keywords: Christmas Ornament Cookies