Can’t get enough of your early morning chai latte? Why not try making your very own chai concentrate for chai lattes from scratch instead. This particular recipe will show you exactly how to make a tasty chai concentrate with a variety of real, whole food ingredients. You’ll be using everything from fresh ginger to cloves, black peppercorn to cinnamon sticks, and even a bit of star anise when making this concentrate.
Once you have your chai concentrate ready to go, you’re going to want to strain the mixture and then pour it into clean, sterilized bottles before putting them in the fridge. It’s also super easy to prepare your chai lattes. You’ll simply have to take ⅓ of your concentrate mix and warm it up before you then add it with ⅔ cup of warm, frothed milk.
Chai Concentrate for The Best Chai Tea Lattes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
4 cups (1500 ml) water
1 cup brown sugar or honey or maple syrup
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
15 whole cloves
7 black peppercorns
10 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
5–6 strips of orange peel
2 tbsp loose leaf black tea or 5 tea bags
- Add the water and sweetener to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then lower the heat.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, star anise, cloves and black peppercorns.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the black tea.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Pour in a clean sterilized bottles and seal.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- To make the chai latte, mix 1/3 cup of warm chai concentrate and 2/3 cup of warm, frothed milk.
(You may also like: Green Tea and Chia Seed Face Mask)