Do you remember the excitement of a birthday party when you were a kid? It’s a special day where you feel on top of the world. Make the moment that much more special for your kids with the addition of a homemade birthday cake. Nothing says you care about their birthday, more than a homemade cake.
Store bought cakes come packed with sugar and trans-fats that are terrible for the health of your kids. Take the initiative to bake a homemade cake for your kids. Give them the birthday treat they deserve with this almond flour sheet birthday cake. It tastes delicious, and we’re confident every kid at the party will love it. Remember to bake extra for the adults to take home!
Birthdays Will Never be the Same Again
Start your recipe with shopping for the best ingredients. Choose free range eggs, extra-virgin-coconut oil, and unsweetened almond milk. For the flours, skip the all-purpose flour. This refined carbohydrate comes packed with inflammatory-promoting grains that are terrible for gut health. Choose almond and coconut flour instead. These flours are a nutrient-dense source of healthy fats and don’t create an inflammatory response in the intestinal wall. (1)
The same goes for the sugar. Sweetening with refined cane sugar isn’t necessary for this recipe. We use coconut sugar, it has a lower GI rating than cane sugar and won’t spike blood sugar as high. Apple cider vinegar is our secret ingredient for this recipe. ACV is a natural probiotic food, rich in vitamins and minerals. Finish off your shopping list with organic cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips. (2)
Don’t let all the ingredients diminish your enthusiasm. Putting together this recipe isn’t as challenging as you think. Start by preheating the oven to 350°F and lining a baking dish with grass-fed butter. Take a large mixing bowl and add the flours cocoa powder, and baking soda. Whisk everything until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut sugar until light and frothy. Add the almond milk, coconut oil, and ACV to the mixture and beat until blended.
Combine both bowls and mix until smooth. Pour the batter into your greased pan and set in the oven for 25 to 35-minutes until you can pass a toothpick through the cake without anything sticking. While the cake is baking, it’s time to make the frosting. Take a small saucepan and place on low heat. Pour in the milk until warm and add the chocolate chips. Stir until the chips melt and the frosting thickens. Remove from the heat and Let cool.
When the cakes finished baking, turn it upside down on a cake sheet, add the frosting to the top, and it’s ready to serve!
View More Healthy Dessert Ideas for Kids:
3-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream for Your Next Family Ice Cream Party
Addictive Raspberry Keto Cheesecake Bars for Kids and Adults
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Keto Cookies (Family-Friendly Recipe)
Mom-Approved Chocolate Chip Muffins That the Whole Family Will Love
Double Chocolate Almond Flour Sheet Birthday Cake (Yum!)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
For the cake:
2 large eggs
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 ½ cups almond flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
For the chocolate frosting:
½ cup full fat coconut milk
¾ cups dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 6 ½” x 9 ½” baking dish or pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat the eggs and coconut sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add the melted coconut oil, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth.
- Slowly add the almond flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the coconut milk in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat on until warm.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Refrigerate the frosting for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the frosting becomes semi-stiff, but still creamy and spreadable.
- Spreed the frosting over the cake and refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.